Rachel is currently a graduate student at the University of Minnesota working on a PhD in microbiology. She previously taught high school science for 'at-risk' kids in Arizona. She is a mother, a women's rights activist and advocate for science education.

Friday, October 29, 2010

Minnesota Judicial Elections 2010 (part 3)

Skipping over the mess of the 10th district court 3, we’ll move on to the 10th district court 27 where John Dehen is challenging Judge Michael Roith. Judge Michael Roith has been on the bench for 26 years and prior to that worked as a public defender. Unfortunately, John Dehen appears to have an anger management problem with two protective orders filed against him. As a prochoice woman, his thought on parental input from his run in 2008 worried me, plus his campaign page sounds very tea party Republican. (this quote was not in the context of minor woman's right to an abortion)

Herald-Journal


Parental input in the lives of their children is essential when the family encounters the services of the court. Judicial intervention into family decisions is to be exercised with caution and only when necessary.


UPDATED: In 2006, Mr. Dehen was reprimanded by the Minnesota Supreme court.
How can a person who cannot follow the laws himself, expect the voters to trust him with enforcing the laws?


In the ninth district court 16, Darrell Carter is challenging Judge Paul Benshoff. Darrell Carter is a volunteer attorney with the Alliance Defense Fund.

Securing citizens religious liberties to worship, speech and expression and the unborn's right to life

 He seems to be running because he REALLY doesn’t like Judge Benshoff. Mr. Carter was endorsed by the GOP, while Judge Benshoff does not believe in mixing politics with the judiciary. Candidate questions in Bemidji Pioneer
Mr. Carter CLEARLY has conflicts of interest that would not allow him to be an impartial judge.

In the ninth district court 17, Incumbent Judge Paul Rasmussen is challenged by former Judge Terrance Holter. In Red Lake they were asked about the perception of inequality in the legal system.

Red Lake Net News

Rasmussen said he believes the system victimizes the poor and that people in
poverty sometimes commit traffic offenses because they can’t afford insurance
and licenses. Laws must be applied fairly, he said.

Holter agreed that socio-economic factors influence the higher percentage of
Indians showing up in court, but added that judges deal with the people who come
before them and have no control over why they are in court.


Judge Holter lost his seat in an odd turn of events that you can read in citypages. Judge Rasmussen writes a weekly newspaper column and makes general comments on cases, I’m not exactly sure how he gets around the code of judicial conduct, but I’m not a lawyer.

Mike Cuzzo and Timothy Costley are running for the open seat in the sixth district court 11. The Duluth News Tribune Endorsed Cuzzo. Finding information about these two candidates was extremely difficult and neither had much in regards to substance on their web pages. Both candidates are attorneys with their own private practice.

The Hillsider

Michael Cuzzo
1. Why are you running?
In my 26 years of as a courtroom attorney, I believe I have gained the broad and extensive experience necessary to effectively serve in the position of District Court Judge. I have demonstrated that ability, as I have been called upon to act as Arbitrator and Mediator, helping parties resolve their disputes. I have always represented people from all walks of life, and have demonstrated my ability to be respectful of all people. I want to use these tools I have gained from this background to serve the people as a judge.


The Hillsider

Timothy Costley
1. Why are you running?
I am running to be the North Shore Judge in the Sixth Judicial District. The seat I am seeking is being vacated by Judge Kenneth Sandvik, who is retiring at the end of this year. Although the election is district wide (St. Louis, Carlton, Lake & Cook counties), this seat serves primarily Lake and Cook counties, with courthouses in Two Harbors and Grand Marais.

I have practiced law in private practice for 15 years. My law practice has involved litigation of almost every type of case that would come before a district court judge. I have handled many complex civil matters involving construction defects, breach of contract, business contract and ownership disputes, real estate disputes, personal injury, product liability, dram shop and insurance coverage disputes. I have handled hundreds of family law cases and am a regularly court-appointed counsel for juvenile cases in Lake and Cook counties.

A judicial candidate needs to have the courtroom experience, knowledge and legal skills to be able to handle the duties of a judge. I have that courtroom experience and those skills and I have the broadest range of experience of any candidate running for this position. I have the knowledge, temperament and common sense to be a fair and impartial judge.

I live and work in my hometown of Two Harbors, where the main chambers for this judicial seat is located. I am connected to and respected in this community. I think it is important that a judge live and work in the community they will preside over, as I do. If elected, I will continue to treat everybody that comes before me with kindness, respect and fairness.


I'm still working on the 24 candidates for the 3rd court of the 10th district. Will post ASAP, I will be relying heavily on the KSTP videos, individual web pages and the Tea Party Patriots Forum. (which has been a very interesting video)

Other posts in this series
1. http://www.mnprogressiveproject.com/diary/7286/minnesota-judicial-elections-2010
2. http://www.mnprogressiveproject.com/diary/7610/minnesota-judicial-elections-2010-part-2
4. http://www.mnprogressiveproject.com/diary/7628/minnesota-judicial-elections-2010-part-4

No comments:

Post a Comment